Pages

Friday 4 January 2019

Summer Learning Journey Week 4 Day 5

DAY 5: The Sky’s the Limit!


Activity 1: Environment Day - Beat Plastic Pollution [4 points]
Every year we celebrate World Environment Day in June. On World Environment Day we do what we can to protect our planet. This year the focus is on reducing the use of plastic bags and water bottles. Watch this Environment Day video to learn more about it!
What could you and your family do to protect the planet?
On your blog tell us three things that you could do to help save the planet.
1. I could get rid of plastic in my environment.

2. I could help people in need by helping them when they fall down and giving spare change to homeless people. 

3. I could set a good example to little kids by educating them and telling them to do good things.   
Activity 2: Adoption Day [4 points]

Not only can you help the planet by reducing, reusing and recycling, you can also help to save animals and plants by ‘adopting’ them. To ‘adopt’ an animal through the World Wildlife Fund (WWF), you need to visit they're adopt a species page, read through the list of animals and choose one.
With the WWF, you don’t actually adopt the animal and bring it home! It’s a symbolic adoption. In this case you pay a fee ($55.00) and the money is used to provide food and care for your chosen animal. Visit the WWF site and take a look at the animals who are available for adoption. Choose your ‘top three’ animals from the website.
On your blog, list the three animals that you have chosen and then compare and contrast them. How are they similar? How are they different? At the bottom of your post, tell us which of the three animals you would most like to adopt..




The animal that I would adopt would be the Cheetah. The reason why I would adopt the cheetah is that I could train it to chase down thieves or bad people which would be a good idea because Cheetahs are a lot faster than humans.

Activity 3: Concluding the Journey [10 points]
Sadly, the Summer Learning Journey has now come to an end. It is time to reflect on everything that you have learned about the environment and, particularly, about how you can protect and preserve it.


On your blog please tell us:

  1. What is one thing that you learned from participating in the Summer Learning Journey programme this year? That Greenhouse gases increase Smog, Mold and Pollen
  2. What is one thing that surprised you? That the Earths oceans are polluted badly.
  3. What is one thing that concerned or upset you? That New Zealand is going to be underwater in the future

  4. What is one thing that you (or your family) can do, moving forward, to help protect our natural environment? I (My family) could help get rid of rubbish and plastic in my environment.

9 comments:

  1. Kia ora Siosaia,

    My name is Hazel and I am part of the Summer Learning Journey (SLJ) team. I’ll be helping Sophie and the team out in Manaiakalani. WOW, congratulations on completing all of the activities in the programme! That must have taken a lot of time and effort.

    There are still a few weeks left, so you have time to go back and add detail to some of your other posts, and/or post quality comments on the blogs of other SLJ participants so that you can earn bonus points. Remember, a quality comment needs to be at least one sentences long, and include at least one specific detail from their post.

    I liked your ideas about helping the planet on environment day, especially the one about educating young children. If you could pass on knowledge about conservation to the next generation, that could make such a huge difference to our planet.

    Cheetahs, eagles and dolphins are all fascinating animals. I agree that having a trained cheetah would be pretty amazing. While they all do need air and water to live, I'm not sure that all three are mammals. Which one do you think is the odd one out?

    It's great to see how much you learned from the SLJ this year, and I hope that you enjoyed yourself!

    Have a great summer holiday, and I look forward to seeing your comments on other people's blogs soon!

    Hazel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Siosaia
    congrats for completing the summer learning journey I think that you are going to get the 1st place again congrats for completing the summer learning journey.

    Mason ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia Ora Siosaia,

    Huge congratulations on finishing the Summer Learning Journey programme last week. It's great to read that you have learned quite a bit about the environment here in New Zealand. It is worrisome that many of our oceans are polluted, isn't it? I worry about that as well and want to do what I can to keep them clean and devoid (empty) of rubbish. Our family is trying to stop using plastic bags for our shopping and in our house. We're also trying to stop using plastic wrap for our food and, instead, put everything into reusable containers. It has taken us a little while to get used to the change but we're getting there, one step at a time...

    I hope that you will be able to continue your learning with us this summer by reading other student's work and posting comments. I know that they would love to hear from you and to have your support!

    Hope to see you online over the next few weeks. The SLJ programme is open every day until Friday 25 January so there is lots of time left for commenting!

    Cheers,
    Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. congratulations on finishing your summer learning journey last week a huge big well done.

    By Mathew

    ReplyDelete
  5. congratulations saia for finishing your summer learning journey I hope you learned a lot about the world around us and hoped you start to take care of the environment.

    by A.J

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kia Ora Siosaia,

    First of all I would like to say a huge, congratulations on completing the final activities as part of the Summer Learning Journey programme, Well done. You may have seen another comment written in one of your posts, so I probably won't need to introduce myself. I am here as I am no longer blogging for the SLJ programme but I am commenting. I really love the amount of work, effort and details throughout each activity, How do you feel about your posts? I loved reading activity 3, as it talks about what you learned for the last couple of weeks, How much you enjoyed it and one thing that most upset or concerned you, all those sorts of topics. I loved reading your topics about what you learnt and how you and your family are going to help protect our wonderful environment.

    What did you learn, was the 1st question? Your answer for that was that Greenhouse gases increase Smog, Mould and Pollen. I loved the answer but It would be nice to go back and write a few more sentences, even if it has to be 2 - 3. Other than that awesome answer and incredible work.

    How are you going to help protect our environment, was the last question? Your response to this was to get rid of the rubbish and plastic around your environment. Also amazing response I loved reading this one as it
    gives us all (the readers) more information about what you and your family is going to do, to help protect our lovely country/environment. Overall great post and thanks for all the outstanding posts you have made, I can't believe you have finished. Excellent work Siosaia.

    Once again congratulations, outstanding work, perfect finish to this years blogging. Well done on finishing hope to see more blogging from you soon.

    Goodbye Siosaia,
    Hinerangi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Siosaia ,

    I just wanna say congrats for finishing summer learning journey 2018 - 2019 !!!! My Name is Lillyana and I am a Year 6 , I come from the school called Pt England School Located in East near Glen Innes !!

    Activity 1 - What an amazing 3 facts you have done I really like the 3rd one as you are setting a good example to little kids by telling them how to save the planet what an amazing way to help the planet !!! Well done Siosaia !!

    Activity 2 - What an cool poster you have done I like the 3 animals you have chosen my favourtive one had to be the Cheetah and then the Dolphin and then the Eagle for sure , Your Explaining is very good and the Similarities are too , I like the reason why you would adopt the Cheetah and they are pretty much good for Bad people because of there speed !!

    Activty 3 - Your three things that you have been asked for the questions and you have good answers my favourtive is the 3rd one where you and your family is helping your environment !!! Well done on completing SLJ - 2018 - 2019 !!!!

    A BIG Congratulations on stunning work and the amazing finish !!! Hope to more blogging from you soon !!

    Kind Regards ,
    Lillyana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Siosaia ,
    My name is Melita and I am form Christ The king school. Congrats on completing the summer learning journey. I agree we should stop using plastic because it kills our environment and the sea creatures.
    I really liked the animals you have chosen. I liked how you have given information in detail. I have learnt alot from this.
    You have put so much effort into all your posts. Are you sad that the summer learning journey is coming to an end? I am. Maybe next time you can say your feeling on completing the summer learning journey. Keep up the amazing work!

    Blog you later Bye 😀

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.