Pages

Tuesday 7 January 2020

Summer Learning Journey Day 5 Week 4

DAY 5: Dancing Queens

Activity 1: The World of Hip Hop [4 points]

Parris Goebel has taken over the world of dance! You might already have heard of her as she is pretty famous in New Zealand and around the world.

Parris was born in Manurewa, South Auckland, and she is of Samoan/Chinese/Scottish descent. Parris loved dancing when she was very little and she began hip hop lessons when she was 10. By the age of 15, she was so good that she started her own all-girl dance crew called ReQuest,
and they went on to win several first places at the World Hip Hop Championships.

Parris later started The Palace Dance Studio in Auckland and formed five more dance crews that won competitions worldwide. She has also worked as a choreographer for famous musicians like Justin Beiber, Jennifer Lopez, Rihanna, and Janet Jackson. In 2019, Parris and her new dance crew, The Royal Family, won the World Hip Hop Dance Championship.

For this activity, please think of a recent performance that you watched. This could be something that you saw on television, on the internet, or in person. What do you like about performance? What did the individual and/or group do well? What could they work on? Write a review and post it on your blog.

The lastest performance I've watched was Tape Face, on Americans got Talent. Tape Face is a comedian from the amazing country of great New Zealand!. The video I watch was about Tape Face making oven gloves sing and making then kiss at the end! It's really funny when he does it!. His second act was him putting a dress on him halfway so it can look like there is a woman hugging him!, He's a really funny guy, even Simon Cowell referred to Tape face as "a modern Charlie Chaplin"!

Activity 2: En Pointe [4 points]

Most successful ballet dancers start learning ballet when they are very young - 3 or 4 years old. World-famous ballerina, Misty Copeland, wasn’t like most other ballet dancers. Instead of starting at age 3, she started ballet lessons at age 13!

By 14, Misty had won a national competition for ballet dancers. She continued to work very hard and, in 2015, she became the first African American principal (lead) dancer of the American Ballet Theatre. This is amazing because there were, and still are, very few African American ballet dancers in the country. When interviewed, Misty has said that she would like people to be able to “see dreams through me”. This is an example of an inspirational quote.

For this activity, please choose a quote that you like from the following list and tell us what it means to you. Post your answer on your blog

Inspirational Quotes - Options

1. “I don’t love studying. I hate studying. I like learning. Learning is beautiful.” – Natalie Portman [Actress]

2. “If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” – Roald Dahl [Author]

3. “In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.” – Theodore Roosevelt [Politician]

4. “Winning doesn’t always mean being first. Winning means you’re doing better than you’ve done before. ” – Bonnie Blair [Athlete]

5. “You’re braver than you believe and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” – A.A. Milne [Author]

For me, I really Like the 4th quote. The fourth quote isn't directed to me, it's directed to some of my friends! I really like this quote because every time we (me and my friends) have a game of competitive sports, They turn into a different person, taking the game literally and trash-talking other players. That's why I like the fourth quote!

Activity 3: Concluding the Journey [6 points]

Sadly, the Summer Learning Journey has now come to an end. It is time to reflect on everything that you have learned this summer about people who have had an impact or changed the world, in some way.

For this activity, please reflect on your experience with the Summer Learning Journey program this year. To earn full points, answer each of the following questions. Please post your responses on your blog.

1. Which activity, or activities, did you enjoy the most?
My favourite activity has to be Day 1, Week 2 , Activity 2: Rights and Wrongs. I really liked that activity because it was really interesting and actual quite simple to slove!
2. Which activity, or activities, did you enjoy the least?
The activity I enjoyed the least was none of them. I really enjoyed completing every single on of them!

3. What are the three things that you learned while completing the program?


  • 1. I learnt about a new company called "Twenty-Seven Names"
  • 2. I learnt alot about Greta Thunberg and how she protested against climate change
  • 3. I learnt that England has more that 1 known breakfast!
4. What are the changes or improvements you would make to the program for next year? 
I’m actually not going to be doing the Summer Learning Journey next year because, this is actually my last year, and I will be in college next year.

I’ve been doing the Summer Learning Journey since 2017, so doing this years SLJ, was a special one, because I knew it was going to be my last one! So I just want to say thank you to everyone who's been a part of the Summer Learning Journey, espicially Rachael and Jordan!. Without this program, I wouldn't have been this intelligent and would have lower grades than I have now! 

Kind Regards
Siosaia


Thank you for participating in the Summer Learning Journey 2019-2020 program!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Saia
    Amazing Work this Summer I hope you enjoyed it cause I did.On activity 2 you did a great job and you must know a lot about your friends.

    Great Job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mōrena Siosaia

    CONGRATULATIONS for finishing this years' SLJ programme, "Changemakers: People who have changed the world" - what a tremendous achievement, I hope that you're really proud of yourself because we're all SO PROUD of you!

    I just looked at your participation last year and see that you didn't finish the programme - what a great leap to have completed all 60 activities this year! What inspired you to finish the programme this year?

    Greta Thunberg is pretty inspirational, isn't she? Can you tell me something that you learnt about what she's doing to protest against climate change?

    Thank you for the special shout out - I'll have to share this with Rachel because this programme means so much to her and it's the reward of knowing that we're helping you all with your learning that really makes all of our work worth it.

    Keep commenting on other learners' blog posts to earn extra points to get you that much closer to winning the awesome prizes!

    Well done Siosaia, so proud of you!!

    Ngā mihi
    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on posting, continuing to participate and completing the SLJ this year. What could you do to be a climate changemaker Siosaia? Keep re-checking your blogging, and commenting on others, to increase your chance of winning one of the awesome prizes and to keep up your learning over the school break! If you are going to Tamaki College you could return to the SLJ next year - so it may not be the end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kia ora Siosaia,

    You did it! You completed all the activities. Ka pai! :)

    I'm glad you enjoyed working through the Summer Learning Journey. The activities are so much fun. I really enjoyed reading through your blog posts, and I still have more to read through which I'm looking forward to!

    Please keep rechecking your blogs - people will be leaving you comments and I'm sure they'd love to hear back from you. Also, commenting on others who have left questions or comments on your SLJ to increase your chance of winning one of the awesome prizes and to keep up your learning over the school break!

    Nga mihi
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Siosaia.
    I'm Lukas, I attend St Pius The 10th Catholic school, I'am a year 8 this year and I'am praticapating in the Maniakalani Summer Learning Journey! I think I have met you before at the 2019 camp with GI School With Sateki and me/Lukas. Wow It's great to see you blogging this year and Congrats on finishing the SLJ programme! I like how in activity 1 you put so much detail on what tape face did and how funny he was.

    On Activity 2 I liked how you expressed your game time feeling with your friends and on how your friends switched to serious.

    On Activity 3 I Congratulate you on finishing the whole SLJ programme and how you acheived from last year! Are you are so telanted actully everyone is.
    Great work Siosaia on finishing the programme!

    Kind Regards
    Lukas

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Siosaia. Great work on completing a summer learning journey blog post.

    Keep up the great work siosaia.

    AJ

    ReplyDelete
  8. ACTIVITY 1 - Hi Siosaia, Richie here again. Grate to see you finish with the summer learning journey. Great to see that you enjoyed it. I hope you have a great year at college. WELL NICE KNOWING YOU.


    Richie

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.