Pages

Tuesday 19 December 2017

Summer learning Journey Week 1 Day 2

Day 2: It’s All in a Day’s Work


Activity 1: A House or a Home?


In the 1800s, most Māori lived in villages called pa.
Each village had many buildings – kauta where
people cooked, pataka where they stored goods

and wharepuni where the Māori slept. A traditional
wharepuni had a thatched roof and walls made of

timber, fern, rushes and bark. Look at the picture

below of a traditional wharepuni. Does it look like your house?

On your blog, compare the wharepuni to your own home.
What are two similarities and two differences between a

wharepuni and your house?

My House
Similarities
The Wharepuni
My house has Doors

No carving on my house

Made out of bricks

Has chairs

Has Tv

Has Beds

Has Xbox One

Both a house

Both Have toilet ( I think)

Both have windows

Both haves beds

Both have Roofs
No doors

Carving on the
Front of the house

Made out of Timber

Has Beds








Activity 2: The Rules of Engagement
During the early years in New Zealand, men

and women would often marry at a young age.

Women were expected to have babies and
remain in the home caring for their children.

Few, if any, left home in search of work. Men,
on the other hand, were expected to work outside
of the home.

These days, we don’t have the same strict

expectations about work. Girls and boys can

choose their own path in life. In fact, I was lucky
enough to go to university and to follow my dream
of becoming a teacher!

What is your dream job? Draw a picture of yourself doing
your dream job and post it on your blog. You could be a
doctor, an actor or even a zookeeper! I have drawn
myself taking a picture of a beautiful castle in Poland
because I would love to become a travel blogger and
photographer one day.
Here is my drawing that i drew about my future. as you
can see i want to be a cook or a chief. Sorry if it looks

a little dark because i drewed this in the night but it's ok. :)

Bonus Activity: Special Meals


Back in the 1800s, most Māori ate a simple diet.

They ate foods that they could catch in the water

(eg. fish) or grow on the land (eg. kumara).
They did not have access to a supermarket

to buy food for their meals! Speaking of meals,
what is your favourite meal? Mine is wood-fired pizza. Yum!

On your blog, post a picture of your favourite meal. Be sure to tell us

what it is and why it is your favourite. You could also include the

recipe if you have it so that we can all try it!

Image result for butter chicken
As you can see this is my favorite meal or food. It is Called Butter Chicken.
I like it because there is Rice and meat. But to make it even delicious with
Naan Bread. Sorry i Don’t know how to make butter chicken so sorry.

BONUS POINTS: 8

4 comments:

  1. Hi Siosaia!

    Well done! I can see you've put lots of effort into your responses. I like the way you have made a table up with what your house has, what a wharepuni has with the similarities in the middle. That was an effective way to get your ideas down.

    I also love your drawing of you as a chef and that you took the time to hand draw it and upload it. Maybe one day when you are a chef, you will learn how to make that delicious butter chicken and then you can share the recipe with us :)

    Keep up the fantastic work Siosaia!

    Nicky :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia Ora Siosaia

    My name is Jolie and I go to Glen innes School. I am also doing the Summer Learning Journey which is great :) I also like butter chicken. Keep up the great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Malolelei Saia,

    My name is Loto and I also like butter chicken. Thats alright if you don't know how to make it unless you have written good things about it. I'm sure butter chicken makes you smile. Also I really like your drawing, it is amazing. I like how you put your working in order on the first activity. Good luck on the Summer Learing Journey!

    By: Your Brother

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love butter chicken
    Good job

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.