Pages

Wednesday 20 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey Week 1 day 3

Day 3: It’s All in the Family

Activity 1: The More, the Merrier? victorian family.jpg
In the 1800s, most families were pretty big. In fact, many parents had an average of seven to nine children.  Imagine that you were a child in the 1800s and you had nine siblings.

On your blog, please tell us how you would feel. Would you enjoy being a member of such a large family? Why or why not?

In this kind of occasion, its like a No, yes answer but i would not like a large amount of people in your family because Your parents will have to work extra hard just to get money to feed us all but if you have a small amount, i will only cost a little bit. My second reason is that half of the family is lasy and the other half is doing all the work. So it a no for me.












Activity 2: Acknowledging Ancestry
All of us are members of a family. Some of us have large families and some of us have very small families. When I have the opportunity to talk about my family and my ancestry I sometimes choose to use a pepeha. It is a very special way of identifying who I am and where I come from. There are many different versions of pepeha but most provide people with information about who you are and where you come from (i.e. your whakapapa). Use the template provided below to prepare your own unique pepeha. If you need help please watch this short movie clip on preparing a pepeha.

Ko Mt wellington te maunga    The mountain that I affiliate* to is…
Ko Tamaki river te awa          The river that I affiliate to
ko Tonga tōku iwi          My tribe is…
Ko Samoa tōku hapu My sub-tribe is…
Ko My house tōku marae My marae is…
Ko New zealand ahau I am from…
Ko Viena rāua ko Fui ōku mātua   My parents are … and …
90668006.jpg
Ko Siosaia tōku ingoa. My name is …


MY PEPEHA
Ko Gatineau te maunga.
Ko Mississippi te awa.
Ko James Telford Stirling tōku tīpuna.
Ko Williamson-Stirling tōku iwi.
Ko Williamson tōku hapū.
Ko Almonte tōku marae.
Ko Almonte, Canada ahau.
Ko Leslie rāua, ko Ron oku mātua.
Ko Rachel tōku ingoa.

When you have completed your pepeha, post it on your blog. You could even post a video of you reading out your pepeha.


Bonus Activity: Fun Family Facts

Everyone’s family is unique. What makes your family special? Choose three people close to you and ask them what their two favourite things to do in summer are.
My Brother Loto Said:Go to the pools and helping ot with family
My brother Sam Said: Acting like a ghost and Scaring people
My brother Bailey said: Go to the pools and going to the beach

On your blog, write two fun facts about each person. For example, my Nana plays the bagpipes!

Sam: Likes anime and likes playing on his phone
Loto:Like playing with is brothers and Lifting weigh
  Bailey: Playing with my netbook and Playing with brothers

BONUS POINTS: 6

2 comments:

  1. Hi Siosaia,

    My name's Ruby and I'm one of the people who will be blogging with you for the Summer Learning Journey this summer.

    Good work. You have come up with two good reasons why you would not want a large family. It would definitely be quite expensive and a lot of hard work to have that many children!

    I wonder why you think that only half of the people would be doing things. Could you please explain that to me? :)

    I look forward to seeing your work on the other two activities!
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Siosaia,

    Great work with the other two activities! Your pepeha looks great. I wonder if you could use the Maori words for "my house" and "New Zealand" to make it sound a little bit more cohesive?

    Your brother Sam sounds like a bit of a character! How funny that that's his favourite thing to do in summer. That being said, I always like to jump out at my brother and say boo. He gets frights too easily!
    My family's favourite things to do in summer are go to the beach, read books, and have BBQ picnics. We love to relax!

    I look forward to reading more of your blog over summer.
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.