Pages

Monday 23 December 2019

Summer Learning Journey Day 1, Week 2

WEEK 2: “I Have a Dream...” - Politics and Activism

Kia ora and welcome to Week 2 of the Summer Learning Journey! If you have just joined us, it’s great to have you! This week we are going to be learning about people who have changed the world through politics ad activism. This is a small selection of people who made an impact on others through politics and protest. On Day 5 you will get the chance to choose someone you are interested in and share what you learn about them on your blog.

Get ready to learn about some people who have fought hard for what they believe in!

DAY 1: Taking the Lead
DAY 2: Taking Action
DAY 3: Women’s Rights
DAY 4: Indigenous Rights
DAY 5: Humanitarian Heroes

DAY 1: Taking the Lead
Activity 1: Playing Favourites [4 points]

Barack Obama was the President of the United States of America (U.S.A) from 2009 - 2017. He made history as the first African American man (or woman) to be elected President of the USA. Barack Obama was born in Hawaii. His father was from Kenya, Africa, and his mother was American. His parents divorced when he was young and his father died in a car crash when Barack was 21 years old. As a young man, Barack studied law at university which is where he met his wife, Michelle. Together, Barack and Michelle have spent much of their adult lives helping others and giving back to their community.

 When they are not at work, they can be found doing their favorite things, including spending time with their family, playing with their dog, or going to the gym.    What do you like to do for fun? Do you also enjoy spending time with family? Do you have a special pet?

 For this activity, create a list of your ‘Top 5’ favorite things to do and take a photo of yourself doing each of these things. Post both your list and your photos on your blog.

(Sorry everyone but I really don't want to take photos of myself doing my hobbies. I never had a fondness of cameras!. But to make up for the missing photos, I'll write a bit of a background to my hobbies. Thanks in advance for understanding)
My five favorite things to do are...



  1. Draw! I really like drawing because it helps relax me after a long day at school. My brothers also like to draw, so it kinda brings us together when we have competitions. (here's a picture of one of my drawings)
  2. Playing Sports! I truly like sports because it really shows the competitive side of me. I'm not that good when it comes to sports, but it's still fun when I get the chance to play. 
  3. Helping others! I like helping others for two reasons. 1, It's because it's the right thing to do and 2, I like seeing a smile on other peoples faces!
  4. Eating! I Love eating my favorite foods! but I love pizza the best! I usually don't eat pizza that often, but when I do, It's a real treat!
  5. Playing video games! I started playing video games since I was a little boy and I think that's when my love for gaming started. I usually played with my cousin, but he'll always beat me. 

Activity 2: Rights and Wrongs [4 points]

Dr. Jessa Rogers (Metuamate) is an Aboriginal Australian and a leader in indigenous education. She grew up in Queensland, Australia, and when she fell pregnant while she was still at school, it seemed like her education would suffer. However, Jessa not only completed her high school
education, but she went on to University and completed several degrees, including a Ph.D. which means she is called Dr. Rogers!

Dr. Jessa Rogers became the first school principal (and youngest Aboriginal principal in Australia) of the Cape York Girl Academy, a school in far north Queensland for young indigenous mums and their babies. For her work on improving indigenous education in Australia, she won the NAIDOC Youth of the Year award in 2010, has gone on to win many more awards and write several books.

Dr. Rogers is a proud member of the Wiradjuri people, an Indigenous community in Australia, and has a strong connection to New Zealand. In fact, her husband is affiliated with two iwis in New Zealand - Ngāti Kauwhata, Ngāti Raukawa, and he is also of Cook Island and Tahitian descent. Jessa is currently working at the University of Canberra as an assistant professor.

For this activity, we would like you to calculate Jessa’s age when she won the NAIDOC Youth of the Year award. She was born on 7 April 1985 and she received the award on 9 July 2010. Please provide the answer to this question in years, months and days (eg. 20 years, 6 months and 2 days). Post both your final answer and an explanation of how you solved this maths problem on your blog when you.



Activity 3: ‘Dear Jacinda’ [6 points]

The Right Honorable Jacinda Ardern is the current Prime Minister (PM) of New Zealand (NZ). You might have heard of her because she’s in the news a lot! Did you know that she is the second youngest person and the second woman ever to be elected PM of NZ?

As PM, Jacinda Ardern makes a number of important decisions every day. Before she makes these decisions, she meets with many people to hear their ideas and get their perspectives (views) on issues.

Let’s imagine you were to write a letter to Jacinda Ardern about an issue that is really important
to you and to ask her for help. It could be something serious to do with education, health or
welfare, or it could be something more fun and crazy - you decide!

For this activity, please write a letter that includes the issue you have chosen, why you have chosen it, and what you would like our Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern, to do about it. It is your job to persuade us (and her!) that it is an important issue. Share your letter to Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern on your blog.

Dear Mrs. Adern

I would like to inform you about an issue that has been affecting the teachers and possibly children too. My issue is about the pay for teachers in New Zealand. The pay is a way too small for the amount of effort the teachers are putting into schools and for children's education. Without higher pay, Teachers won't be able to buy materials and equipment needed in school. I'm sorry if I came in all bossy but, All I am asking is to fix the pay for the teachers because they do a lot more work than expected and without teachers, you wouldn't be the prime minister of NZ! 









4 comments:

  1. Hi Siosaia, this is Mrs Collins again from Manaiakalani and I'll be commenting on blogs over term break. Well done on posting and participating in the SLJ this year. Here's my workings out on ACTIVITY 2 ...
    1985 > 2010 = 25yrs
    7th April > end of April = 23 days
    May = 31 days
    June = 30 days
    > 9th July = 9 days
    = 23+31+30+9= 93 days
    April = 30 days, May = 31 days, June = 30 days (92 days)
    2 days left over
    = 25 yrs, 3 months and 2 days.
    Keep blogging, and commenting on others, to increase your chance of winning one of the awesome prizes and to keep up your learning over the school break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work Saia your better then me i really like how you did all the activity's in one paragraph. You completed week 1 and now your starting on week 2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing work Siosaia you have been working hard theses pass days On activity 3 I agree there pay is way to small for the amount of effort they put in helping students learn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Siosaia,
    I also like to do most of the things you enjoy. I like to draw whenever I have some spare time or don't have internet. My favorite thing to draw are cars. I also like to play sports. My favorite sport to play is football, what is yours? Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.