Pages

Saturday 28 December 2019

Summer Learning Journey Day 1, Week 3

DAY 1: Driving Digital Innovation 

Activity 1: The World Wide Web [4 points] 
You may not have heard of Tim Berners-Lee but this man completely changed
the world for us when he invented the World Wide Web (otherwise known as
the ‘www’). All of the information on the internet is stored and accessed on the web. 
TimBL, as he is known, also created the first ever website. We all spend a lot of
time looking at websites, don’t we? One of my favourite websites is the Te Ara
site. I use it when I am creating lessons for students or working on assignments
for school. 
I haven’t always used the internet. In fact, when I was in primary school we didn’t
have access to the internet and, instead, got all of our information from books. In
order to do my school work I would borrow books from the school library or the
public library in my town. 
For this activity, let’s imagine that you were born back in 1970 and didn’t
have access to the internet at home or at school. How would you feel? Would
you find it difficult to live in a world without the internet? Why or why not?
Post your answer to this question on your blog when you are able. 

If I was born back in 1970, I would have a hard time at school because right
now, I have quiet brown skin. Kids would make fun of me and some will want
to beat me up. But back at home, It would be alright living without the internet in
my family (except my Mum, She goes on Facebook 24/7!) because my parents
would always take away our devices and we would always play cards! So it
would seem normal for me and my family living in 1970!

Activity 2: Influencers[4 points] 
YouTube is a video sharing website, where people can watch, create, share and
comment on videos (a bit like when you Learn, Create and Share at school). YouTube
was created in 2005 by three men - Chad Hurley, Steve Chen and Jawed Karim who
later sold it to Google for $1.65 billion dollars! 
Did you know that anyone can have their own YouTube channel? People who create
videos and post them on YouTube are called ‘YouTubers’. YouTubers post videos on
a huge range of topics from music to make-up, fitness to cooking, etc. 

Most YouTubers create their own YouTube channel. People can subscribe to their
channels and follow their videos. Do you watch or subscribe to any YouTube channels?
If so, who are your favourite YouTubers? In New Zealand, there are many YouTubers,
including Kiwi beauty YouTuber Miria Flavelland guitar guru, Nat Pua
For this activity, please imagine that you had the chance to create your own
YouTube channel. What would it be about? What kinds of videos would you
create and post? Write a description of the YouTube channel you would like
to create. Post your work on your blog.

If I had a youtube channel, I would make most of my content doing helpful things

just like Mr Beast. I would give money to homeless people, Host challenges and
Just do lots of random things! If I was a Famous Youtuber, with a lot of money, I
would donate a lot of money to different charities, make sure that the homeless food
Banks are full and try to help with global problems.

Activity 3: Apple vs Microsoft[6 points] 
Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are two big names in the field of digital technology. Bill Gates
is the founder of Microsoft while Steve Jobs was a co-founder of Apple. Both men are
very creative and inventive. In fact, Steve Jobs invented the Apple computer, iPod,
iPhone, and iPad. Sadly, he passed away in 2011. 
Bill Gates, on the other hand, invented Microsoft software, like Microsoft Windows
and Microsoft Office. He is now one of the richest people in the world, and with his
wife, Melinda, has created a charity called The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
Both men worked in the same field (digital technology) and were seen as competitors
or rivals. They are not the only rivals in the world. In fact, there are famous rivalries
between sports teams (e.g. the All Blacks vs the Wallabies); cities (e.g. Sydney vs
Melbourne, Australia); colleges (e.g. Christ’s College and Christchurch Boys High
School); and even meals. In England, there are two different kinds of breakfasts -
one is called a ‘traditional English breakfast’ and it includes hot food items like eggs,
bacon, beans, fried mushrooms, toast etc. The other is called a ‘continental breakfast’
and it consists of foods like cereal, yoghurt, fruit, croissants, muffins, etc. 

For this activity, we would like to know which of these two breakfast options you
prefer. In your opinion, which one is better? Why? Post your answer on your blog

If I had to choose between both breakfasts, I would choose the "Traditional
English Breakfast". The reason why I would choose the Traditional English Breakfast
is because I normally have cereal for breakfast and trying something new wouldn't
hurt. Traditional English Breakfast, which contains eggs, bacon, beans, fried
mushrooms, and toast, sounds more appealing than cereal, croissants, muffins, and
fruits!

5 comments:

  1. ACTIVITY 1 - Hi Siosaia, Richie here again. Grate work on completing another day of Summer Learning Journey. I enjoy reading your work and hope you are having a wonderful holiday. I really respect your thinking. Personally you are not that dark. Keep up the good work and keep blogging to win the prize.

    Richie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ACTIVITY 2 - Hi Siosaia, Richie here again. Grate work on completing another day of Summer Learning Journey. I enjoy reading your work and hope you are having a wonderful holiday. I really like what you would do with your YouTube channel very creative. I would love to watch your videos. Keep up the good work and keep blogging to win the prize.

    Richie

    ReplyDelete
  3. ACTIVITY 3 - Hi Siosaia, Richie here again. Grate work on completing another day of Summer Learning Journey. I enjoy reading your work and hope you are having a wonderful holiday. I really like your taste in breakfast. Keep up the good work and keep blogging to win the prize.

    Richie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talofa lava Siosaia,

    Well done for participating in this years' SLJ programme, "Changemakers: People who have changed the world" - I like that you complete 3 activities in 1 blog post - that's great initiative! Thanks for your response to Activity 1: Driving Digital Innovation, I will respond to this one.

    Unfortunately, the idea that you would have a hard time at school because of your colour during that time period would most likely be true but thankfully there have been numerous changes due to various people who have sought change for our people of colour. That is great that you don’t think you have to rely on devices at home because person-person interactions are so important to have and playing cards is a great way of doing achieving that too. By adding some bright colours or a few pictures to your blog post I think it would really catch people’s attention.

    Just another gentle reminder that the Manaiakalani cluster team and I are in the middle of going through your blog posts and tallying up points at the moment. While we do that don't forget, now that you've finished the programme, you can earn many more bonus points and help encourage other students to finish the SLJ programme by leaving thoughtful comments on other students' SLJ related blog posts!

    Malo,
    Mani

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Siosaia,
    Well done on completing these activities. It's sad to hear that back then you would have a bad time at school because of the colour of your skin. However, I like that if you had a Youtube channel you would help people out just like Mr Beast. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.