Pages

Thursday 11 January 2018

Summer Learning Journey Week 4 Day 3

Day 3: Social Systems

Activity 1: Mixed-Member Proportional (MMP)

In 1996, New Zealand adopted the MMP voting system. In September of 2017 we had a national election. Everyone in New Zealand, over the age of 18, was invited to vote for who they wanted to form the next government in New Zealand. The race was really close and in the end, three different political parties (Labour, New Zealand First and the Green Party), came together to form the new government. It is called a ‘coalition government’ because it includes different people from different political parties.

Imagine that you had to form a coalition government with two other people.  Who would you choose to partner with?

I would choose My friend Alex and My brother Loto. I Chose Loto and Alex because they are Smart people. Alex skipped one year that means he supposed to be a year 7 but he was too smart so he skipped one Year so he is now a Year 8 Just like Loto. Loto Can say all his times table from 1 to 12 in less that 10 seconds. Alex and Loto is Contributing in the Summer Learning Journey as well.

I would form a coalition with my son, Aronui, and with my friend, Amber. Aronui would be a great addition to the coalition because he is funny and kind. He would make us laugh and take care of us. Amber would be great because she is really smart and thoughtful. She is also good at making decisions. I think that we would form a great team. What about you? Who would you choose? Why?



Activity 2: Migration

Over the past few decades, there has been a huge rise in the number of people coming to New Zealand to live and/or travel. I was one of those people! In fact, I moved with my family to New Zealand in 2010 and I am so glad that I did. It’s a pretty amazing place to call home! At the moment I live about 10 minutes from three stunning beaches and a beautiful national park.

Speaking of home, where do you live? On your blog, please post a picture of your hometown and provide a list of three things that tourists, like us, could do if we came to visit. What do you like most about your hometown? (Remember the guidelines for being Cybersmart, and never post your address online).

My Home Town is Auckland.

Three Things people like about Auckland.
1. Auckland City has the Highest amount of People in New Zealand
2. Auckland is home to over 50 volcanoes
3. New Zealand is one of only three countries that have two official national Anthems.The first is God Save the Queen and the other is God Defend New Zealand.

My hometown of Almonte, Ontario



Bonus Activity: Modern Learning Environments
Over the past few years, a number of schools have changed the way that they teach. Instead of one teacher working in one classroom with one group of students, some schools have built huge classrooms where many teachers work together to teach a big group of students. This is called a ‘Modern Learning Environment’ (MLE).
IMG_0725.JPG

Some people prefer Modern Learning Environments while others aren’t so sure. Take a look at the pictures above. The one on the left is a photograph of a traditional classroom, and the picture on the right is of a Modern Learning Environment.



Imagine that you are a teacher, and design your own classroom. What would it look like? What furniture would you have? I would love to have some beanbags for reading on.

Draw a floorplan of your classroom (either in Google Draw or on paper) and upload it to your blog. Describe what is special about your classroom and why you designed it this way.

I’ve drawn a classroom with pink carpet and bright coloured tables. I also included a kitchen so that we can do cooking every day and a HUGE bookshelf because I love to read! What would you like to see in your classroom?

Here is the Classroom I made with Google Draw.


BONUS POINTS: 18

3 comments:

  1. Hi there Saia,

    Hooray!, only one more day to go and you'll be done.
    But I gotta say, you've been a hardworking blogger throughout the past 4 weeks. Keep up the amazing work!

    Davarni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, there, Siasaia,

    I like your classroom design you've designed using Google Drawings. Specifically, I like how you've made the mat space a bit big to fit the students in. I'd think, if this design were to be used, this would be good for students to move around freely.

    Nice work!
    -Willy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Siosaia,

    My name is Emiely (pronounced “Emily”) and I am part of the Summer Learning Journey team!

    Activity 1: Loto and Alex do sound like to very clever people. It's important to have people in your coalition who are quick thinkers and problem solvers! I'm more of a compassionate person. I care a lot about other people so I would make sure that everyone is listened to so that I could help them - that would be my quality that I would bring to the coalition. What qualities would you bring?

    Activity 2: Thanks for sharing these interesting facts about Auckland! I'm from Auckland too. It's a great city isn't it? If you were a tour guide, where would you take the tourists? Is there a special place you would take them or would you want to do something fun with them in Auckland?

    Bonus activity: You have done a great job of using Google Draw to create a map of your ideal classroom! I like the way you have used labels and added colour so it is clear what each thing is. I'd love to have bean bags in my classroom too. Reading a book on a bean bag is such a comfy treat! Don't forget that to get full points for this activity, you need to describe what is special about your classroom and why you designed it this way. Don't worry too much, you can always go back and add this to your blog post! Let me know when you have added this description so I can change it to full points. :)

    It's awesome to see how actively you have been blogging this summer. I know the Summer Learning Journey team have enjoyed reading and commenting on your blog. Just a reminder that you can earn bonus points by commenting on other children's Summer Learning Journey blog posts. I'm sure they would appreciate your thoughtful and helpful comments.

    Noho ora mai,

    Emiely :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.